We’re Building the Future! Ever want to do hard work that will make a REAL difference in the world? Do you want to solve some of the most difficult problems with a team of exceptional players at a company that does not believe in impossible?
About The Company
Powin Energy is a leading producer of utility scale modular battery energy storage system (complete with a patented, advanced, cloud-based monitoring/control system). That means we build power plants out of batteries that put coal and gas generators out of business and enable sustainable viability for renewable energy sources like solar and wind.
Powin is, and will continue to be, one of a handful of companies that will provide the equipment necessary to make this happen. Powin has distinct competitive advantages: cost-effectiveness; reliability; scalability; deploy-ability; and operational sophistication. Every day we work to ensure that we maintain these competitive advantages and our position as a global leader in providing turnkey, battery energy storage solutions for utility-scale, commercial and industrial, and microgrid applications.
Powin’s Hardware Engineering team is seeking a self-starting, Mechanical Engineer with experience running projects from concept to production. This position will lead large and small scale design projects using internal and external resources to accomplish project deliverables. This position will be responsible for generating engineering design and validation requirements from internally generated product requirements. You’ll provide design guidance and requirements while working collaboratively with a team of mechanical, electrical, and electronic engineers both locally and in China on the development of and supporting large-scale battery energy storage systems. Ability to drive projects to completion, strong design and engineering skills, and ability to manage projects within budget and timeline constraints are all keys to success.
- Design and engineering of complex assemblies and sophisticated system level products including electrical, software and mechanical components and integration
- Collaborate on mechanical design projects locally and with remote engineering teams in China
- Development and coordination of testing and test fixtures to verify product performance
- Follow design and development processes and procedures for conformance to quality management system
- Manage design and development projects from start to completion
- Process and product improvement initiatives to eliminate defects and waste
- Understand and conform to applicable regulatory safety guidance and certification needs as it pertains to our product requirements
- Hands on approach to product design and vendor development
- Development and documentation of assembly methods for new and existing products
- Development of documentation materials for field retrofit kits
- Drawing review and approval for production release
- Quality-driven process documentation including Report Analysis, Product Specification, Test Plan and FMEA
- First article reviews and approval of components for manufacturing approval
- Cooperatively provides hands-on job function training to co-workers as needed
- Other duties or special projects as assigned
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5-10 years of industry experience
- Proficient with SolidWorks
- Proficient in Microsoft office programs
- Knowledge of or experience with technologies including injection molding, thermoforming, blow molding, metal fabrication, welding, casting, extrusion and more
- Ability to work in a fast paced, design environment
- Experience with prototyping and iterating on design concepts
- Excellent communication skills that can support sales and project site teams with answers as well as customer’s requests
- Knowledge of creating and validating structural assemblies
- Experience with HVAC systems, ducting design, and heat transfer principles
- Comfortable communicating with global suppliers on DFM concerns and troubleshooting issues during production
- Ability to solve problems independently and manage the workload of multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to work cross functionally, conveying designs and concepts to others at different levels
Be a part of the future by making a difference with Powin!