We’re Building the Future! Ever want to do hard work that will make a real difference in the world? Do you want to solve some of the most difficult problems with a team of exceptional players at a company that focuses on what is possible?
About The Company:
Powin Energy is a leading producer of utility-scale modular battery energy storage systems (complete with a patented, advanced, cloud-based monitoring/control systems). That means we build power plants out of batteries that enables sustainable viability for renewable energy sources like solar and wind.
Powin is, and will continue to be, one of a handful of companies that will provide the equipment necessary to make this happen. Powin has distinct competitive advantages: cost-effectiveness; reliability; scalability; deploy-ability; and operational sophistication. Every day we work to ensure that we maintain these competitive advantages and our position as a global leader in providing turnkey, battery energy storage solutions for utility-scale, commercial and industrial, and microgrid applications.
The Cell & Module Characterization Manager will serve as Powin’s cell and module testing expert. Responsible for resolving technical problems encountered with the setup and execution of electrical or mechanical testing. Manage and own cell module testing plans, data analyses, and test regimes scripting.
- Lead and design of experiments develop and execute DOEs for long-term cycle and calendar testing
- Support data production allowing creation of empirical cell ageing models, SOH models, etc.
- Define and support execution of a repeatable process for cell & module characterization:
- Vendor documentation to validate vendor specifications
- Support cell supplier engagement efforts to get specs and samples:
- Lead and direct cell and module benchmarking activities
- Lead and direct quality check of test results
- Determine the best matches for a given application
- Coordinate efforts with external labs
- Support installation and commissioning of new equipment in Powin Battery Lab (A/R)
- Coordinate efforts with external Labs
- Manage abuse test activities
- Manage testing that is beyond Powin Battery Lab Capacity/Capability – examine ability to bring in-house if warranted
- Own data management including vendor documentation, test data, report management
- Own reporting: Clearly and succinctly communicate test results to various audiences to include:
- Product Group for collaboration
- Leadership for updates and status of ongoing work and other info deemed important
- Customer facing internal organizations for important reporting
- Customers as required
- 4-year degree BS/BA in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering industrial technology, or closely related subject, or relevant experience
- Experience with NPI/product development and test/R&D
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical tests (EMC, fuse time/current characteristics, fuse coordination, electrical component durability)
- Strong technical communication skills written and verbal
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint, MS Office, and Teams
- Experience with lab instruments: DMM, oscilloscope, HIL, Familiarity with CANalyzer, CAN ape, Python/Scripting, Modbus
- Self-motivated and highly organized
- Excellent project/program management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment
- Domestic travel required (20% if not in Greater Portland, OR area)
- 5+-year experience in related field, Automotive/EV, Grid Storage, Aerospace, Consumer Electronics
- Knowledge of Li-ion life cycle testing, abuse and safety testing, and equipment preferred (Cyclic Voltammetry, EIS, cell characterization)
- Demonstrated knowledge of automated battery test equipment, test methods, and test specifications (UN38.3, GBT, UL 9540a, etc.) highly preferred
- Strong knowledge of fixture design and test equipment preferred
- Experience working with high voltage/ high power systems strongly preferred
- Coding for test and analyses highly desirable (Python/Scripting, Java, C#, visual basic/Macros
Be a part of the future by making a difference with Powin!