We’re Building the Future! Ever want to do hard work that will make a REAL difference in the world? Do you want to solve some of the most difficult problems with a team of exceptional players at a company that does not believe in impossible?
ABOUT THE COMPANY-
Powin Energy is a leading producer of utility scale modular battery energy storage system (complete with a patented, advanced, cloud-based monitoring/control system). That means we build power plants out of batteries that put coal and gas generators out of business and enable sustainable viability for renewable energy sources like solar and wind.
Powin is, and will continue to be, one of a handful of companies that will provide the equipment necessary to make this happen. Powin has distinct competitive advantages: cost-effectiveness; reliability; scalability; deploy-ability; and operational sophistication. Every day we work to ensure that we maintain these competitive advantages and our position as a global leader in providing turnkey, battery energy storage solutions for utility-scale, commercial and industrial, and microgrid applications.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY –
The Project Engineer has a broad area of activity and will follow the BESS system through project initiation and RFP, sizing, and optimization, contracting, commissioning, and operations life cycle. PEs work closely with Powin’s own and third-party product engineers and provide varying levels of support from Sales through to Operations depending upon the product maturity and customer’s familiarity with storage systems.
- Work with the sales leads, bid team, and the customer to provide required information and education on Battery Energy Storage Systems
- Identify any gaps in the existing or proposed energy storage solution, and work with the Product Management and Product Engineering teams to fully specify the requirements to resolve the gap
- Capture and document the operating requirements for the project
- Work with the Project Management Organization and Logistics team to fully develop the timeline, costs, and any constraints of the solution and communicate to sales lead and customer
- Work with Commercial and Legal teams to ensure timely and favorable contracting terms
- Provide the necessary designs (containers, stacks, DC and AC collection) to the project execution teams to guide project contracting and construction
- Lead on all use-case, energy management system, integration, and networking definitions
- Write product scope documents.
- Employ value-engineering principles in the battery energy storage system and complete Bill of Materials for each job to determine the cost, timeline, constraints, and risks
- Communicate and negotiate planned delivery date of the solution with the project execution team, effectively adjusting customer expectations as needed
- Continue to capture and document operating requirements for the system
- Directly manage each project through contracting, supporting Commercial and Legal team to ensure successful delivery
Installation and Commissioning
- Act as a key resource for managing product, design and solution issues that arise.
- Finalize the operating requirements for the system in conjunction with the project execution team
- Provide software and system configurations for the programmable components, based on the operating requirements of the system, to the commissioning teams
- Perform any new or non-standard tests and analyses during installation and commissioning, to assess and confirm anticipated operating behavior.
- Work with customer to identify any missing system requirements
- Liaise with Product Management / Engineering and Sales on any new requirements that are to be delivered post-commissioning
- Coordinate commissioning and testing with System Operations Teams
- Perform ongoing analyses of the performance of the system over time and accurately diagnose issues as they arise
- Provide expert technical support when the System Operations Teams or the customer identify operational issues
- Ensure that augmentation plans are optimized and applicable to the project and support augmentation installations
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Science or other 4-year technical degree, ideally in Electrical Engineering or Renewable Engineering
- Minimum 8 years of systems design and field operations experience in battery energy storage systems (BESS), power systems, or PV solar system projects
- Knowledge of and experience with power conversion systems
- Familiarity with SCADA, Modbus, and networking applications
- Ability to create system designs, single lines and block diagrams using AutoCAD or Visio/Smart Draw
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic
- Excellent written and oral communication, with the ability to adapt style and vocabulary to technical and nontechnical stakeholders
- Effective presentation skills required, both in the creation and delivery of presentation materials
- Proven track record of creating and sustaining positive interpersonal relationships
- Demonstrated ability to successfully overcome the challenges and uncertainties of a fast paced and rapidly growing company
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly
Be a part of the future by making a difference with Powin!